Saturday, October 17, 2009

Tropical Splendor in the Boston Public Garden

Wintery weather is starting to set in around here and the leaves are changing colors and falling rapidly. Looking outside it is hard to believe that only a few weeks ago it was still summer and the Boston Public Garden was swathed in exotic foliage and brilliant blossoms.


I had never been to the Public Garden in summer before and was expecting run-of-the-mill displays of impatiens, geraniums, and whatever ornamental grass happens to be in vogue this year, but instead I found lush plantings of tropical shrubs and vines, unusual annuals, and even palm trees. On the whole, the plantings were strongly reminiscent of the elaborate exotic bedding schemes popular in Europe and North America during the 19th and early 20th century.




The bed of palm trees and Codiaeum variegatum was among my favorites, partly because it reminded me of planting schemes I have seen in tropical regions and partly because it did not look very much like a temporary display - that is if it had not been in Boston, I would have happily believed that those plants had been growing together in that configuration for a number of years.
Next summer I will try to make it out to the Public Garden more often...it is nice to know that a few truly beautiful and somewhat old-fashioned public parks still remain, even as so many public horticultural spaces appear to look more or less the same.

Now back to my homework...More posts to come very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!