Sunday, November 8, 2009

Summer Travels - Part 7: The Baghdad Kiosk in the Gardens of theTopkapı Palace

The Baghdad Kiosk, or Bağdad Köşkü in Turkish, was built in 1693 to commemorate Sultan Murad IV's conquest of Baghdad. Much of the outside of the pavilion and virtually all of the inside is covered in beautiful blue-and-white tiles with floral and calligraphic motives.
The inside of the pavilion is magical - cool yet light and airy and bathed in a beautiful blue light filtering through the colored glass in the windows and reflecting of the tiled surfaces. On a hot summer day this must have been a wonderful place to while away the hours...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!