Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas!!!

I apologize once again for not posting for so long! After I finally finished my final exams, I was supposed to leave for home last Sunday but then of course the big snowstorm that made its way up the East Coast hit Boston and I was temporarily stuck. Still, I was relatively lucky since I was able to fly out the next morning quite early and I made it home only a day late - though it took my luggage another day to arrive - but then I came down with some form of flu within hours of getting home. Now I finally seem to be getting better, or at least fit enough to decorate our Christmas Tree. As you can probably tell, I like my Christmas trees quite gaudy - I pretty much decorate it with all the ornaments that have accumulated in the years since my parents and I moved to the United States. I am particularly fond of tinsel and imaginative, glittery glass ornaments like clip-on birds of which you can see one below. The tree is real, though so far it has not been quite as fragrant as one would hope. Then again, maybe my sense of smell is simply a bit handicaped due to my flu episode.

My dad bought the tree at the end of November when Christmas trees are first beginning to be sold and kept it in a bucket of water first outside in the yard and then in the garage until this morning. His reason for doing this consists in the hope that the tree be fresher than if it had spent a month without water at the garden center, and that by buying earlier, we might be able to get a nicer specimen of a tree.
Now you may ask: Why go through the process of storing the tree at all and not simply put it up around Thanksgiving like most people? Well, in Germany most people traditionally do not put up their Christmas trees until December 24th and then leave them up until Epiphany on January 6th and we continue to follow that custom. Incidentally, the main celebrations of Christmas generally fall on the 24th in Germany, that date being known as "Heiligabend" or "Holy Night" and the 25th and the 26th being designated "Weihnachtsfeiertage" or "Christmas Holidays". On that note, I wish everyone a wonderful Christmas and hope that all your wishes are fulfilled!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!