Sunday, December 6, 2009

Nikolaustag!

December 6th is the feast day of Saint Nicholas, who was Bishop of Myra, a town in modern-day Turkey now called Demre. The patron saint of sailors, merchants, archers, sailors, and children as well as one of the patron saints of Greece, Russia, and Sicily and of the cities of Barranquilla, Bari, Amsterdam, Beit Jala, Siggiewi, and Liverpool, Saint Nicholas is often associated with charity and gift-giving due to the various legends told about him. In this capacity, he is the main inspiration for the American figure of Santa Claus as well as similar traditions in various other countries. For more details on these, you can go to the saint's Wikipedia page at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas.

Source: Holly by Petr Kratochvil


In Germany, the feast day of Saint Nicholas is called Nikolaustag or "Day of Nicholas" and is commonly celebrated with small gifts such as candy. In many families it is still customary for children to put out one of their boots in the evening of December 5th, to be filled with gifts by the saint overnight. I personally never really followed this tradition, my parents always having preferred to simply place my gift next to my bed or my breakfast plate in the morning of December 6th. Nevertheless it is a holiday I cherish.

Source: Poinsetta Leaves by Petr Kratochvil

Well, I should get back to my term papers now... I hope you all have a nice Nikolaustag and Second Advent Sunday, and I promise that more directly gardening-related posts with original pictures will resume soon!

1 comment:

  1. Ich habe den Nikolaustag total vergessen....but you will get your present as soon as you are home! Love, Mama

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!