Thursday, January 21, 2010

Planning for Spring: New York Times Article on Seed Shopping

If you plan to start plants from seed this year, you might find this article from The New York Times interesting:


http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/21/garden/21seeds.html?ref=garden

The article has lots of suggestions for great vegetable and flower varieties from various avid amateur as well as professional gardeners, and there are also lots of links to interesting mail-order seed companies.

I wonder if I will be able to resist the urge to plant some seeds this spring, living as I do in a college dormitory most of the time these days...Last spring I ended up growing impatiens (Impatiens walleriana), black-eyed Susan vine (Thunbergia alata) and coleus (Solenostemon scutellarioides) on my bedroom window sill, the common room window already chock-full with my collection of houseplants. I brought the plants home to Michigan at the end of the spring semester, and two of the coleus plants, one with chocolate-brown leaves edged in chartreuse and one with bright pink ones with light green and white edges, are still going strong in my bedroom window here in Michigan.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link to a very interesting article. I also had coleus as a student years ago. They can even survive dorms (if they get enough water).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!