Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Post-Holiday Bargains

My mom and I stopped by a local garden center yesterday because I needed orchid potting soil to pot up two rather large keiki that had developed on a Dendrobium I had bought at Trader Joe's a few years back. We did not intend to buy anything besides the potting soil but came across a number of perfectly nice plants that were drastically reduced in price. Apparently they had been brought in to be sold during the holidays and were now considered hard to sell.
I would hardly be surprised to see that sort of thing with plants like Poinsettias (Euphorbia pulcherrima), and it also seemed to make sense for the small Norfolk Island Pines (Araucaria heterophylla) of which there were still many. However, many ordinary house plants, such as pothos (Epipremnum aureum) and prayer plants (Maranta leuconeura 'Erythroneura') were also on sale.
My mom and I ended up buying a little Norfolk Island Pine (Araucaria heterophylla) and three tiny little olive trees (Olea europea). Their new home, at least until the spring, is a table in my parents' sitting room, which is has large windows and is fairly bright and cool. Hopefully those conditions will agree with the little saplings. Perhaps from now on, I will pay more attention to post-holiday plant sales. Who knows what other little treasures I might come away with...

1 comment:

  1. Good idea - I'm on my way to the plant store right now. Just needed an excuse!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!