Friday, February 5, 2010

The First Sign of Spring

Now before anyone warns me that a few crocus flowers hardly signify the end of winter let me say that I am well aware that we are likely to be in for at least another month of cold, ice , and snow here in the Northeast. Nevertheless I was delighted when I was walking to class yesterday and saw these little specimens of Crocus tommasinianus braving the cold in front of a building near the one I live in. They are growing close to a heating vent, which probably explains their precocious growth.
Now I am off to breakfast and then class but I will be back soon with more day-dreaming of spring and summer.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful way to start the day! I am beyond excited when my crocus make their way through the winter memories!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!