Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Plants in Bloom in the Garden

I was hoping that I would be done with a more substantial post by today but alas, I was not as productive as I should have been. However, I did do quite a bit of weeding and gardening and put in various new shrubs in the garden and I also got around to taking pictures of some of the things currently in bloom in my family's suburban Michigan yard. Irises are perhaps the showiest flowers in the garden right now but there are quite a few other jewels as well:

A tall, light salmon-colored bearded iris, probably Iris 'Beverly Sills'

A bright blue bearded iris - the flowers are actually a bit less purplish in real life

 Another bearded iris with yellow-beige and crimson petals

Iris 'Champagne Elegance' - This one will often flower a second time in late summer or early fall

Helianthemum 'Rhodanthe Carneum'

Helianthemum 'Annabel'

A magenta herbaceous peony (Paeonia sp.)

Rosa multiflora

Red valerian (Centranthus ruber) is just beginning to flower

A low-growing pink variety of Penstemon

Common mallow (Malva sylvestris)

A red garden pink, possibly Dianthus 'Eastern Star'

Common gladiolus or cornflag (Gladiolus italicus)

Pink painted daisy (Tanacetum coccineum)

 Allium moly

These pansies (Viola x wittrockiana) are still going strong but with the temperatures rising they will probably start giving up soon

I hope you liked the flowers. As always, there will more to come!

2 comments:

  1. Nice show of flowers. The gladioli are an unusual colour. Why are some irises called bearded?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they are called "bearded" because of the fuzzy stamens at the top of the hanging petals, which I guess reminded someone of a beard.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!