Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Lots of Pictures of of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis

Hibiscus rosa-sinensis is a common enough plant, both as an outdoor shrub in the tropics and subtropics and as a potted plant in temperate zones. Nevertheless, I never tire of its beautiful flowers and going through pictures I took this summer I realized that I have been photographing different varieties of this plant all over the place. Since Hibiscus rosa-sinensis is also the national flower of Malaysia and today is Malaysia's Independence Day, I decided this would be as good an occasion as any to put those pictures to use.

The classic form with single, bright red flowers, photographed in this case in the grounds of the Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque in Muscat, Oman

A pinkish-orange variety in the Hibiscus Garden in Chandigarh, India

A double pink cultivar in Chandigarh's Hibiscus Garden

A variety with delicate, pale pink flowers that appear in particularly large numbers, photographed in the Hibiscus Garden in Chandigarh

A variety with a single, reddish-pink flowers, also from Chandigarh's Hibiscus Garden

A pure white variety; this picture was taken in Chandigarh's Leisure Valley Park but this cultivar appears to be relatively common throughout the Chandigarh area as well as various other parts of northern India

A mid-pink variety with a prominent basal blotch, photographed in the town of Lenox in western Massachusetts

On a more personal note, I remember that Hibiscus rosa-sinensis was  represented among my parents' collection of house plants when I was very little by two somewhat straggly specimens with red blossoms. My maternal grandmother also usually kept a young plant on the windowsill and her sister, my grandaunt Gertrud,  keeps some big old specimens that she overwinters in her little glassed-in front porch and puts on her terrace during the summer. In any case, I wish everyone in Malaysia a very happy Independence Day, and I hope you enjoy these pictures!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for your good wishes on our Independence Day. In Malaysia, we have a Hibiscus Garden in Kuala Lumpur that pays tribute to this national flower of ours. Your selection is splendid!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!