Saturday, August 14, 2010

A Picture from the Garden

Much of my family's Michigan garden is not really at its best right now due to summer heat and drought and a bit of a slump as many summer-blooming perennials are winding down and fall-bloomers like asters, chrysanthemums, and sedums are not yet ready to step up and fill the void. Nevertheless, there are a few things that look quite nice, among them some apricot Agastache rupestris and black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldsturm').

Agastache rupestris in the front yard; Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldsturm', Miscanthus sinensis 'Strictus', and Sedum spectabile can be seen in the background

I am going to try to add more late summer-flowering plants in the future and seeing as this garden is still very much in its infancy there is still a lot of empty space waiting to be planted anyway. In the meantime, I am very happy that this little specimen of Agastache rupestris has established itself here. In the old yard I had several large stands of this species which I had grown from seed six or seven years ago and which would flower for months every summer. When we moved last summer I could not transplant any of has established itself here. In the old yard I had several large stands of this species which I had grown from seed six or seven years ago and which would flower for months every summer. When we moved last summer I could not transplant any of the original plants since they were too big, woody, and firmly rooted, so I only took a few young seedlings. Only this one appears to have made but at least it seems to be happy and healthy.

1 comment:

  1. Agastache is a coveted plant here, but for me skulks around for one season, maybe two, and then goes the way of the dodo. It's really very frustrating, esp. when I see pictures of happy, beautiful plants (like yours).

    Christine in Alaska

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!