Saturday, August 21, 2010

Question...

Does anyone gardening in the northern United States - or another part of the world with a similar climate - know when spring-flowering bulbs usually begin arriving in the garden centers and home improvement stores? I was always under the impression that they were around by late August but living at home with my parents I was never under any pressure to go bulb shopping until well into September and even after I went away to college our old yard was still well-stocked with what I had planted during the preceding years. Now, however, my parents have a new garden sadly devoid of daffodils, crocuses, and the like, and I would love to get some tulips and narcissi - and perhaps a few other things - into the ground before I go back to college at the end of next week but I cannot find bulbs anywhere!

Update:  I finally found a decent selection of tulips at a local garden center - and bought a couple of dozen bulbs of four different varieties - and now bulbs are also appearing at the local big box outlets.

6 comments:

  1. I think it's too early, but they're in box stores around Washington DC now. When I worked at a nursery, we got our first shipments around the end of August. You still have plenty of time to order online. There are lots of suppliers; I like Brent and Becky's Bulbs among others. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! I had thought about mail-ordering earlier but then never got around to it as I was traveling or otherwise distracted. Now would probably be too short-notice since I would rather not leave my parents with a bunch of bulbs that would only be another task in their busy schedules...But if they are already appearing in the big stores around DC maybe they will here soon as well... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last week of August is about the earliest you'll probably start seeing them. By the first week of September for sure though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Home Depot has a ton of daffodil bulbs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ich habe gerade bei einem grossen Versand in Deutschland nachgeschaut - Baldur-Garten. Man kann dort Blumenzwieblen jetzt schon bestellen, sie werden jedoch erst zur Pflanzzeit - Sept. oder Okt. - geliefert. Vielen Dank für Deine Kommentare in meinem Blog. Die Wanderung über die schwäbische Alb war wirklich schön. Ich geniesse in Deutschland, dass es so was wie "private property" nicht gibt. Man kann einfach überall laufen/radfahren, toll. Barbara

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!