Saturday, September 11, 2010

Summer Travels 2010 - Part 12: Some More Parks in Chandigarh, India

I realize I have written several rather lengthy posts on Chandigarh's parks already and I promise I will move on to other sites - such as the famous Nek Chand Rock Garden - very soon. However, since I still have a ton of decent pictures of a number of beautiful parks in the city, I decided to do one last post, covering parks I did not mention in my previous posts about Chandigarh. One such park is Leisure Valley, a large park of undulating lawns and groves of trees and bamboo interspersed with more formal flower beds. Despite the oppressive July heat and the fact that the monsoon had just set in a few days before, this garden offered plenty of beautiful flowers.

 View into Leisure Valley from one of the gates

A group of cypresses (Cupressus sempervirens) with a field of pink rain lilies (Zephyranthes grandiflora)

Yellow oleander (Thevetia peruviana)

Gardenia (Gardenia jasminoides)

A path lined with spider lilies (Hymenocallis littoralis)

Caesalpinia pulcherrima

A large block of orange cosmos (Cosmos sulphureus)

A little bridge over the creek that runs through the park, half hidden behind large stands of bamboo
Coxcomb (Celosia cristata)

Tuberose (Polianthes tuberosa)

This appears to be some species of Brunfelsia, though I am not exactly certain which

Chinese trumpet vine (Campsis grandiflora)

Other parks I enjoyed while in Chandigarh include the Garden of Fragrance, the Bougainvillea Garden, and many small neighborhood parks, so here are just a few more pictures from some of those:

The entrance to a neighborhood park

A bed of clipped foliage plants in the same park

The main path in the Garden of Fragrance

A large flowering fish tail palm (Caryota urens)

A very interesting flowering shrub with a long, dangling inflorescence. I have not been able to figure out what this is, so if any of you can identify it, please let me know!

A blossom of Magnolia grandiflora

Lagerstroemia speciosa, the bigger cousin of the common crape myrtle (Lagerstroemia indica)


I hope you like the pictures and I will be back soon with more posts. Have a great weekend!


2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by!