Monday, October 25, 2010

Articles about German Botanist, Environmentalist, and Former First Lady Loki Schmidt

Hannelore Schmidt, called Loki, was the wife of former German chancellor Helmut Schmidt as well as a prominent botanist and conservationist. She passed away this past Thursday at the age of 91. Here is an article from the German newspaper Die Zeit that talks about her life and her efforts around plants and nature more generally:

Von wegen Blümchen-Loki

Unfortunately I could not find an equivalent article in English but here is the article The New York Times published upon her passing:

Hannelore Schmidt, 91, Wife of West German Chancellor, Dies

I remember receiving her beautiful book Die Botanischen Gärten in Deutschland ("The Botanical Gardens in Germany") as a gift from my maternal grandmother and reading it cover-to-cover many times, to the point that many of the pages have become dangerously loose. Her work will certainly be remembered.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to check to see if her book is still in print - I'd love to have it. I didn't realize she'd published a book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!