Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Fall Flowers

Autumn is upon us and the leaves are falling fast but today was a lovely warm day and on my way back from mailing some transcripts and other graduate school application materials I could not help but stop and take a few pictures of some of the plants still in bloom.

 Fall foliage and a lush bed of New England asters (Symphyotrichum novae-angliae)

Close up of the aster flowers

A tall monkshood (Aconitum sp.); in real life the flowers were more purplish

I also once again passed by the bed of Chrysanthemum 'Sheffield' which I posted about last fall. It is just beginning to flower but is already beautiful. Nearby I came across two oddities: a species of Rhododendron with small pink flowers that either differs drastically from other hardy Rhododendrons in its flowering time or is very confused about the season and a number of blue bearded iris (Iris germanica), which are either similarly confused or a representatives of a repeat-blooming variety - Is there such a thing?

Chrysanthemum 'Sheffield'

Rhododendron sp. - Naturally fall-flowering or just confused?

Bright blue bearded iris (Iris germanica) - Also a bit odd at this time of year

I hope you enjoyed these...Now back to my application essays...

5 comments:

  1. Lovely flowers for Fall. I liked the Iris best. Only the plant grows here, but never flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice fall flowers! I'm sure you enjoyed your walk a lot

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot of flowers for so late in the year in New England. I hope those late stray blossoms aren't due to global warming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are re-blooming Iris starting to show up. They're not very common yet but you'll see them from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those asters are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!