Saturday, October 30, 2010

First Morning Glory Flower

After being stuck in a rather dark and chilly dorm room last year, I am now in a room with several big, south- and west-facing windows. As a result, I have been able to accumulate many more house plants than in my previous college years. I also decided to embark on a little experiment and planted some 'Grandpa Otts' morning glory seeds (Ipomoea tricolor 'Grandpa Otts') in a pot in the brightest window right after getting back to campus two months ago. Today, the vines opened their very first blossom.

The flower as seen from the side

In originall trained the vines up along the window pane using thin stakes and strings suspended from the top of the window frame but once they reached the top they started twisting chaotically in every direction and though the effect was not quite what I had expected I gave up trying to coerce them into a tidier pattern. They appear to like it because now they are setting lots of flower buds.

The flower as seen from the window side

Considering how many more buds the plants have I hope that this is only the beginning; nevertheless, it is already quite satisfying to have achieved even one flower, seeing as I had never grown morning glories inside and even in the garden they only ever seemed to do well for me when I just scattered the seeds and then left them to their own resources...

2 comments:

  1. Flowers inside the room. It must look great, congrats on your first bloom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite vine, its fast grower. You really doing an amazing job to maintin this plant indoors. But be careful not to let this vine climb through the wall ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!