Monday, October 4, 2010

Really Cool Birthday Present

My birthday was a few weeks ago but I did not actually get what is perhaps my most unusual gift until two days ago. It is not that it did not arrive on time but for some reason it does not appear to occur to the people who work in the mail room of my dormitory that a large box covered in "priority mail" stickers should be placed where the person it is addressed to might actually be able to find it. Luckily, my present does not appear to have sustained any damage from its more than week-long dark-and-dank mail room incarceration, which is surprising seeing as it turned out to be a live giant sequoia sapling (Sequoiadendron giganteum), well over a foot (ca. 30cm) tall.

My little Sequoiadendron giganteum as it looked when it arrived

I got this great gift from our family friend Maggie, whose beautiful garden is also the original source of all the black-eyed susans (Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldsturm') and purple cone flowers (Echinacea purpurea) in my parents' Michigan garden. Thank you very much!

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful to have friends who give you plants and flowers as gifts! But what will you do with your sequoia when it outgrows your dorm room? Would it grow in your parents' Michigan garden? Good that it survived the week of darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not entirely sure; for now I just hope it makes it through its time in the dorm room window. The friend who sent it is trying to establish sequoias in her Michigan garden, so hopefully they should be able to grow there...They definitely do very well in our part of Germany... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is a very nice gift.
    Glad to hear it didn't suffer any damage

    Ps: thanks for the comments and adding my blog, sorry it took me a bit to answer back

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I love trees! I see that your post was written in 2010. how is your sequoia doing right now? Greetings from mexico

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!