Saturday, November 27, 2010

My Mom's Green Thumb

Since I have been off to college, my parents have been left to take care of many of my plants for much of the year. Apart from the plants I had acquired during my high school days, I have also been adding another dozen or so new houseplants every spring when I have to vacate my dorm room for the summer. As a result, my dear parents have pothos a-plenty, in addition to a growing collection of orchids, African violets (Saintpaulia ionantha), Christmas cacti (Schlumbergera truncata), aloe (Aloe vera), cyclamen (Cyclamen persicum), and numerous other houseplants ranging from rare to common. My mom has been taking great care of all of them; she even uses orchid fertilizer now and despite her aversion to fleshy and/or fuzzy leaves she has kept the African violets happy.  The following are just a few pictures of some of the developments I was most impressed with when I got home:

This little cyclamen (Cyclamen persicum) graced the windowsill of my dorm room two years ago and has been flowering on and off ever since

Pale blue flowers of a brown-leaved coleus seedling (Solenostemon scutellarioides)

Emerging inflorescence of parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans)

Flower buds of olive (Olea europea)

Poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima) from last year setting new flowers

It is great to be able to come back and to see one's plants doing so well. When I return for Christmas break in a couple of weeks and everything outside is grey and frozen, I will still be able to enjoy windows full of greenery...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!