Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Picking my favorite plant...

...is absolutely impossible because I rarely come across a plant I do not like and even sometimes feel bad pulling up weeds. However, Fer over at my little garden in japan is having a Blog Carnival and the idea is to add a link to a post one has written about a plant one really likes. I guess I could have used one of the plant profiles I had already written but I thought it would be better to come up with something new so I tried to think of a plant I grow that is a bit out of the ordinary and about which I have not yet posted very much. I ended up picking a little pink sun rose (Helianthemum 'Rhodanthe Carneum' syn. 'Wisley Pink') which grows in the front border of my garden back in Michigan.

Helianthemum 'Rhodanthe Carneum'

I love sun roses (Helianthemum sp.) because they look almost exactly like their bigger Mediterranean cousins the rock roses (Cistus sp.) but unlike them they are hardy for me and require virtually no care, except for some protection against hungry deer and rabbits in the winter. The plant that produced the flower in the picture happily grew in the front yard of my family's first house in Michigan for several years before being transplanted in the burning heat of summer to the new garden. It looked a bit bedraggled for a while but by the next spring it had completely recovered and put on a beautiful show of flowers as though nothing had happened.

6 comments:

  1. Very pretty choice and I love the color of the foliage. I have rock rose in my garden...I will have to check this one out to see if it would like my garden. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!
    It looks amazing. Is so great that it survived the moving. It would have been a shame to loose it.

    Thank you very much for joining in the carnival! I appreciate it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty in pink, I bet they look great if in bigger clumps..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute flower. I wish I have one growing in my garden as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fer - Thank you for hosting this!

    p3chandan - They do form nice little cushions so the flowers are not always distributed very evenly around the plant.

    Malay-Kadazan Girl - Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!