Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Patron Saint of Gardeners

After writing the Barbaratag Post, in which I mentioned that Saint Barbara happens to be, rather oddly, the patron saint of mathematicians as well as those who work with explosives, I remembered taking a picture several years ago of a tile mural of Saint Fiacre, the patron saint of gardeners. I figured it would only be appropriate to write a short post about him and so I tried to read up on this relatively little-known saint. I did not find much but did learn that Saint Fiacre was born in Ireland in the 7th century and later emigrated to France. He was apparently a skilled herbalist and healer as well as something of a hermit who tried to avoid human company and spend much time in the cultivation of his garden, which is most likely why he is considered patron saint of gardeners.

Azulejo mural of Saint Fiacre in the gardens of the Reales Alcázares in Seville, Spain

He is also considered patron saint of florists and taxi drivers and, bizarrely, of those who suffer from venereal diseases. Personally, I think that is an even odder combination than mathematicians and those who work with explosives...

2 comments:

  1. I am a bit curious though, his connection with taxi driver;). Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to Wikipedia, it has something to do with a Parisian hotel named after the saint which ran a horse carriage taxi service several centuries ago, though I did not fully understand the details. Happy holidays to you, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!