Sunday, January 16, 2011

Desert Roses (Adenium obesum) - I Want One!

Fer over at my little garden in japan is having another Blog Carnival, and this time he is asking us all about our gardening plans for this year. Since I am graduating from college in May, I am not really sure yet what my living - or working - situation will be for most of the year; hopefully I will start graduate school in the fall but even that good be in a number of very different places. As a result I cannot really make plans for a real garden of my own this year. However, I will of course keep working on my family's garden in Michigan whenever I am home to visit my parents, and I will have HOUSEPLANTS. Thus my "plan" for this year will be to acquire a particular houseplant which I have coveted for a while but which I have so far never had the chance to grow, since it is not that commonly sold around here as well as being rather expensive and supposedly a bit difficult to keep and bring to flower. The plant in question is the desert rose (Adenium obesum), though my research suggests that the handful different species of Adenium are all of comparable loveliness.

 A deep pink cultivar of desert rose (Adenium obesum) at the Naples Botanical Garden

Apart from its stunning flowers and the way they contrast with the oddly pudgy and gnarled shape of the rest of the plant, I also like Adenium obesum because it is one of a number of bizarre and beautiful desert plants native to Oman, a fascinating country which I visited last summer and whose public green spaces - some of them previously featured on this blog - are the subject of a large part of my senior thesis. I hope to go back there someday soon, but in the meantime a desert rose on my windowsill will be a lovely reminder.

10 comments:

  1. Good luck with your studies and hope you can graduate by fall. I still can't remember what this plant call in English but only in my native language. But now I can remember. Thanks a heap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've met a few people who are well and truly hooked with Adenium obesum, and I can see why :) Beautiful flowers and an odd but nice looking plant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here adenium are considered as a 'good luck' or 'good fortune' plant to be kept around the house especially to the Chinese community. I have 4 of those plants but they are not as beautiful as the photo shown above. Good luck in your quest for this plant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful flower to have! I have seen it in my country, it is very resistant for what I know>
    I Know how it feels to have that uncertainty on how the rest of the year will go. I am still struggling with where will I live or what will I do.
    Wish you the best

    ReplyDelete
  5. aloha

    what a wonderful speciman to obtain and care for..good choice


    thanks for sharing that and showing us your garden today

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by everyone... :)

    p3chandan - Thanks for teaching me something new! Now I have another reason to get one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first real introduction to gardening (other than all the green thumbs in my family) was my college roommate who filled our room with houseplants and then taught me how to divide and repot them. Once I manipulated my own plant I was hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carolyn - I wish I had that affect on my friends at school. Though I am happy that they put up with my plant craziness at all... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful plant! I've never seen or heard of this one before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is very pretty! I think I'll make next year's goal to learn how to take care of houseplants - any common one will do!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!