Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Gardening Section of The Telegraph

Those who have been reading this blog for a while know that I like to scour the websites - as well as the print versions - of newspapers and magazines for garden and plant-related articles. My usual hunting grounds, such as The New York Times or the German Die Zeit, yield perhaps one relevant piece every two months or so. Recently, however, I came across the Gardening Section of the British newspaper The Telegraph. Perhaps not surprisingly, considering the importance of horticulture in the United Kingdom, this is a whole different level of garden-related journalism, with regular articles on topics ranging from seasonal garden tasks to recent gardening book releases to the politics of public landscaping. I highly recommend checking it out every once in a while.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the hint to look at the Telegraph. I always, (every Sunday) check out the LA Times section, and the Milwaukee Sentinel section. It is a great to keep learning for me, also a great way to know what others are reading even if it may be topics I know much about. I do like knowing what others read. Gives me ideas of where the "baseline" of a person's understanding on a topic sets. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, trust the Brits to focus on gardening in a major newspaper. Thanks for the tip and I'll check it out (hopefully openly available online). Did you know that German TV (SWR) has a regular and very popular show called "Grünzeug"? I often find it helpful, e.g. on fruit tree pruning, which it recently features.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The latest issue of How to Find Great Plants is here and your cushion spurge post is listed. Thanks so much for participating, I hope you will again next month. Here’s the issue:

    http://www.appalachianfeet.com/2011/02/01/how-to-find-great-plants-issue-3/

    I'll take your advice about that gardening column -- I agree that the advice from the UK tends to be more detailed and less fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gardens at Waters East - I very much agree with that thought. It is nice to know what garden-related topics are currently big and what other people's views are on some of those things.

    Barbara - Thanks for the tip regarding "Grünzeug", I will have to check it out... :) I do miss a lot of the German public television programing, not just the ones on gardening but also the documentaries on cultural and historical topics which I enjoyed a lot as a kid. And yes, the articles from the Telegraph are available online, which is how I found them in the first place.

    Appalachian Feet - Thanks for letting me know and thanks for inviting me to participate to begin with!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!