Monday, March 14, 2011

Flowers and (Somewhat) Exciting News

I am at home in Michigan for a few days since this week is my school's spring break, though I am still working on my senior thesis. Spring is just barely beginning here, so while the temperatures are largely above freezing and the last snow banks are slowly starting to melt, there is not really anything flowering outside as of yet. I thought, however, that I should post a few pictures of what is flowering inside...

Hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis) - This little specimen is putting on lots and lots of buds at the moment; this is the first one to open.

Abutilon x hybridum  - This is the last surviving plant from the first batch of Abutilons that I ever grew from seed

While out grocery shopping earlier today, my mom and I also bought a beautiful, and fragrant, bouquet of stocks (Matthiola incana), in color somewhere between purple and magenta.

The bouquet of stocks (Matthiola incana) in a pale green vase from Detroit's Pewabic Pottery, which continues to make ceramics and tiles to Arts-and-Crafts designs

Finally, I used today's mild weather to check on the garden and particularly some of the somewhat tender plants that receive special, on-site winter protection, such as the Japanese fiber bananas (Musa basjoo) and crape myrtles (Lagerstroemia indica). Among the new plants in this category is a needle palm (Rhapidophyllum hystrix), which I picked up at a local Walmart last spring (See my post on this surprise find here). I considered it an experiment, since I do not know of any palms of any species having been successfully overwintered outside in this area. Yet when I carefully peeked inside the contraption of burlap, dry leaves, and a styrofoam cone that my parents erected to protect the little palm, I found the leaves poking out just as dark green and shiny as they had been last year. Of course, the plant might still have sustained damage to the stem or roots but the seemingly healthy leaves are nevertheless a good sign. I am therefore carefully optimistic that this relatively rarely grown palm species may become a long-term resident of the garden.

4 comments:

  1. If we do not have flowers in the garden, it is a pleasure to have them at home. Yours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well welcome back to sort of my area of the country. As you can see, it is still Winter around this part of USA, Michigan and Wisconsin. Like here at my house. Your house plants are nice, but I want to get out into the garden one of these days to dig in the dirt. I sure hope Spring comes soon. On my 4 mile walk this afternoon I did see a few of the Spring birds. In time I am sure it will get warn - it better! Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stocks are one of my favorite flowers. I love their perfume. An abutilon from seed. Now that's impressive. I also have a standard hibiscus which I kept in the shed all winter. I cut it back and it is now starting to leaf out. Happy bloom day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!