Friday, March 11, 2011

Fun with Ferns

Here is an interesting recent article on ferns as ornamentals from The New York Times:

In the Garden: Send in the Fronds

I myself have become more fond of ferns in recent years, though the only kind I am currently growing inside is a small Boston fern (Nephrolepsis exaltata). In the garden, my favorites are the Christmas fern (Polystichum acrostichoides) and the hardy native maidenhair fern (Adiantum pedatum); the latter in particular combines a beautiful elegance with surprising toughness. Hopefully in the future I will get to experiment with a few more species.

2 comments:

  1. I built a fern garden a couple summers ago, paving it with very thick cut sandstones form a barn foundation. Growing in it are ostrich,sensitive, woodland, 2 other natives that I can't quite identify and painted ferns (the only non native. They were dug out of my local woods. I found a couple maidenhair in the gully by the creek but as there were only 2, I left them. Good luck growing your ferns.
    nellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings from Southern California

    I am your newest follower. I invite you to visit my blog and follow me if you want too.

    God Bless You :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!