Saturday, May 21, 2011

Spring in My Family's Garden

Though I only graduate this coming week, I went home to Michigan on a short visit last weekend and got to spend some time working in the garden there. Since my parents moved into their current house only two years ago the garden is still more or less in its infancy but some parts are really beginning to come together. The front border on the south side of the house is the first area of the yard that I planted, predominantly with plants rescued from our previous Michigan garden. It now looks very promising, if I dare say so myself... :)

A view along the border due east

A section of the border with lamb's ear (Stachys byzantina), forget-me-not (Myosotis sylvatica), money plant or annual honesty (Lunaria annua), mallows (Malva sylvestris), bearded iris (Iris x germanica), and bee balm (Monarda fistulosa)

Cream-colored tulips that fade to pink

Ajuga reptans

 The small needle palm (Rhapidophyllum hystrix) which survived the winter all but unscathed under a rose cone and a pile of dry leaves

Hopefully with time and further work other sections of the garden will develop as well as this one...

5 comments:

  1. A very pretty bed - very nice colors. Congrats on graduating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. developing a garden is always such a pleasure! have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool plants. good combinations. The Needle Palms seems perfectly happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats on graduating and the beds are coming along nicely...I have the peach tulips and love them

    ReplyDelete
  5. The border looks colorful, and the cream-colored tulips are lovely. Congrats on graduating!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!