Friday, June 3, 2011

Flowers in the Garden

Since coming home to my parents' house in Michigan last weekend I have spent a lot of time in the garden, planting new things, trimming old ones, weeding, fertilizing, and just generally enjoying being outside and surrounded by flowers. So here is a selection of plants currently in bloom in my family's yard. I posted pictures of many of these last spring as well but I hope you will enjoy these new images anyway:

Painted daisy (Tanacetum coccineum)

A relatively bearded iris (Iris x germanica) with yellow-beige and crimson flowers - this one is an inheritance from the previous owners of the property

A massive variety of bearded iris, both in height and flower size; another remnant from the garden's previous owners and perhaps Iris 'Beverly Sills'

A deep purple bearded iris that is flowering for the first time this year

A bed of mid-blue bearded irises in a part of the garden that still needs lots of work

A red bearded iris cultivar which I introduced in the garden and which is beginning to come into its own in several spots

Iris 'Champagne Elegance'

Another, smaller variety of bearded iris with disappointingly few flowers per stem but flower colors that I really like 

Oxeye daisy (Leucanthemum vulgare)

Helianthemum 'Rhodanthe Carneum'

Helianthemum 'Annabel'

Pink evening primrose (Oenothera speciosa)

Some species of Indigofera which is flowering particularly heavily this year

Common or field gladiolus (Gladiolus italicus)

Rosa multiflora

I hope you liked these. In the coming days, I will post more about the work I have done in the garden in the past days and the new plants if have added.

4 comments:

  1. gorgeous flowers and you certainly have been busy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you have some beautiful flowers blooming in your garden now. The irises are gorgeous. I like the Champagne Elegance. Is it a rebloomer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna - Thanks!

    Lona - Thank you! The 'Champagne Elegance' is among my favorites as well. I would say it is somewhat of a rebloomer; the plants do often produce a few extra flower spikes later in the season but they are markedly fewer than the main flush in May/June and not terribly reliable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love painted daisies, they are so shocking in the garden, but that's my style. That Champagne Elegance iris is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!