Monday, July 18, 2011

Awesome Asclepias

As I have mentioned before, I am a big fan of the milk weeds of the genus Asclepias, many species of which are native to various parts of the United States. Many, if not most, make striking garden plants that need virtually no care and attract butterflies to boot. This year I planted two new specimens, one a bright orange Asclepias tuberosa - I had already planted a yellow selection last year - and the other a particularly tall, pink-flowered selection of Asclepias incarnata.

Asclepias incarnata

Asclepias tuberosa

Hopefully I will be able to add more species and varieties of Asclepias in the future. I am still looking, for instance, for a specimen of Asclepias incarnata with deep reddish-purple flowers, and I also would not mind a few clumps of the pink-flowered Asclepias syriaca that commonly grows at roadsides and forest edges throughout this area.

1 comment:

  1. I have large patches of milkweed here. Back a couple of months ago I did a posting on the Monarch feeding station here at Gardens at Waters East (check out the archive for the date) and now this year both the neighbors on either side of this garden and the garden here have loads of the milkweed that we have tried to cultivate for the butterflies, and it has worked. I may do an update to that posting in time. Lots of milkweed all over the place and the Monarchs have been stopping by on their way North. So nice to see. By the way here in the gardens my incarnata is just starting to open its buds. Only have a small patch of that in the rock garden, but it looks nice. Jack

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!