Sunday, July 31, 2011

Passionflower Blooms

At the beginning of June I planted a tiny sapling of the purple passionflower or maypop (Passiflora incarnata), a species of passionflower that is native to much of the eastern half of the United States. Since the plant was so small I was not expecting flowers this summer but when I got back from Germany a few weeks ago a number of buds had formed and today the first flower blossomed.

Purple passionflower (Passiflora incarnata)

The flower has a heavy, powdery scent, though it is only perceptible at a very close range. I think it is absolutely stunning and hope many more are to follow.

2 comments:

  1. Passionflower is such an odd thing. The flower looks like it can't possibly be native to the US outside of maybe Florida or Hawaii. I haven't grown it, but it's on my gardening bucket list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!