Thursday, August 25, 2011

Garden Update

I am starting graduate school next week - well, technically I already started since we had orientation yesterday but classes do not start until a couple of days from now - and thus had to leave my family's garden in Michigan behind to once again move to the Northeast. My new abode is an apartment in a building without a garden or much landscaped ground to speak of but luckily I have both inside and outside window sill space that should allow me to grow a nice array of plants. In the meantime, however, I wanted to post some pictures of the exciting - or so I think - developments underway in the Michigan garden when I left it:

Purple passion flower (Passiflora incarnata) setting fruit

The oldest of my crape myrtles (Lagerstroemia indica) just beginning what might its best flowering season yet

Japanese fiber banana (Musa basjoo) in its late-summer glory

Hopefully tomorrow I will get a head start on my new indoor and window sill garden before things start to get too busy with classes...

7 comments:

  1. How exciting for you! Good luck to the new school year. Your plants look lovely. That Crepe Myrtle is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your studies, and those bananas look fab! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those bananas do look fab; wouldn't mind some myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck at grad school. I am sure you will have a great garden on your windowsill

    ReplyDelete
  5. im looking forward to seeing your array of pots!
    and those banana leaves look so lush - what is the fruit like? do you have a picture to share?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rohrerbot, Mark and Gaz, Reihan, and fer - Thanks!

    Arati - Unfortunately the bananas freeze back quite a bit in the cold each winter, so at least until now they have never managed to flower. In any case, though, this particular species has dry fruits with big seeds, though they are no good for eating.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!