Sunday, September 25, 2011

New Plants

I am slowly building up a collection of plants for my new apartment, which is an interesting challenge considering that I only have east-facing windows and my selection is largely limited to what is being sold at the garden centers and flower shops I can reach from here. Foliage plants will probably predominate in the long run but I have also got some nice flowers so far.

Parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans)

A pink, frilled cultivar of African violet (Saintpaulia ionantha)

Another variety of African violet (Saintpaulia ionantha) with particularly large white-and-purple flowers

Pothos (Epipremnum aureum)

Cordyline fruticosa and Maranta leuconeura 'Kerchoviana'

Miniature Phalaenopsis

Some Sempervivums on the outside windowsill

Lots more plants to come... :)

8 comments:

  1. You have chosen a nice collection of foliage and flower plants. The orchids are really lovely. East facing is much better than west facing-at least here in Texas. Good luck with your new acquisitions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your collection. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a cold (55F) rainy day. Time to look up what you and others have posted on blogs. Great catching up with you. It was great seeing the African Violets. When I was 12 years old I raised them and sold them at the local store. People would wait in line for the doors to open on Mondays because that was the day I would bring them in for sale. One of the area's larger cities did an article on me and my hobby of growing violets. I've kept that article all these years. Your posting today brought back so many memories of my "early years" into gardening. In looking at your plants, they should do well for you. They look very healthy right now. See you soon. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lancashire rose - Thanks! Here in Massachusetts east-facing windows are often too dark for a lot of plants, especially in the winter but hopefully these plants will appreciate the indirect light.

    Rohrerbot - Thanks!

    Jack - That is really cool! I have only learned to grow African violets in the last three years, after an attempt that ended in utter failure when I was still in elementary school. However, I have yet to learn to propagate them successfully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice selection of houseplants there! They certainly bring some cheer indoors :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great collection of plants.
    I remember when I started getting my balcony going, it is so much fun to go around choosing new plants, finding new nurseries and learning more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But the sun rises in the east!

    Looks very pretty, especially those outside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice collection and lovely mini phals. I bet you will run out of space pretty soon :).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!