Saturday, October 15, 2011

Cool Campus Landscaping

Roughly a week ago when work crews began cutting down and ripping up the straggly hawthorns and yew hedges in front of one of the main science buildings on campus I was rather annoyed, assuming that they would be replaced with even more hardscaping or more drab, shoddily planted shrubbery. I was pleasantly surprised, then, when a truckload of large bamboo plants was delivered along with some rather futuristic-looking planters. Installation was completed yesterday and I think the result is quite cool:

A partial view

The new planting and seating area stretch along much of the front of the building

A close-up of one of the planters

I am not sure I like the design of the individual planters but the overall effect I find very appealing. Using raised planters is also a good solution to the problem of containing large, spreading species of bamboo, though I am a bit surprised that they do not seem to be worried about winter hardiness with the bamboo growing in containers rather than in the ground.

3 comments:

  1. That's a nice clean looking design. The bamboo will grow tall! Some bamboo can tolerate the winter temps. It will be interesting to see how well they do during the colder months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the design is clean. Glad that the change seems to be for the better. In my school, they are cutting down all the tropical trees which line the driveway, and replacing them with Royal Palms :( The school authorities think the palms look good in a photo. Such a pity to lose those native trees to something so artificial looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I like it!
    Cool and crisp and ... clean - as has been commented on.
    Alice
    aka
    Alice's Garden Travel Buzz

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!