Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Wonderful Surprise

A few days ago I got an unexpected package in the mail which turned out to be a belated birthday present from our family friend Maggie. She had ordered me an assortment of six different Tillandsias or air plants from the California-based Tillandsia nursery Rainforest Flora, Inc.; according to the labels attached to each plantlet I am now the owner of the following species:

Tillandsia aeranthos

Tillandsia bulbosa

Tillandsia ionantha

Tillandsia juncea

Tillandsia stricta

Tillandsia tenuifolia

I did not really know how to best install these rootless epiphytes in my window but eventually I ended up tying them to a long wooden dowel bought at the hardwood store which I stuck in between my various potted plants. Hopefully this way they will get plenty of light while also benefiting from the higher humidity caused by the evaporation from the plants below.

My new Tillandsia arrangement

I have never grown any Tillandsias before, so we will see how things go...

5 comments:

  1. They are so beautiful! I have always been a failure at growing tillandsias. Hope yours will do well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous collection, I like the way you mounted it without taking too much space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lotusleaf - Thank you! I guess I am just going to stick very closely to the care instructions that were sent with the plants and hope for the best... :)

    Mark and Gaz - Thanks! I really do not have much space to spare and I was trying to get them as much light as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been growing tillandsia ionantha for about 10 months so far with little to no problem. I mist my airplants until dripping wet whenever I think to do so 1-3 times a week and every month or so soak them for a couple hours in a weak fertilizer mix (I use cactus fert as it's a low numbered one.) Funny enough I was just looking them up this evening for my own post when I read T. ionantha needs to be given a cold period of 10C to induce flowering in the winter. Might be worth a try if you have a bright basement or boot room. Best of luck, awesome gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tips! I will do my best to follow them, though I am not sure yet if or how I will be able to give the plants cool temperatures

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!