Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Flowers and Foliage at the Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory

I have posted before about the Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory on Detroit's Belle Isle and since I went there again this past weekend when I was home for Thanksgiving I have some new pictures I thought I would share:

This appears to be something in the ginger family, though I have no idea what species. Does anybody know?

Foliage plants in the central Palm House

Strelitzia nicolai in bloom

A view of the Fernery

 Colorful foliage

A path in the Succulent House

Solandra maxima in the Tropical House

I really love this place and I am a bit worried that, given the dismal financial situation of the City of Detroit and the fact that much of the upkeep of the conservatory and its plantings is provided by elderly volunteers, it will not be around for that much longer...

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a gorgeous looking greenhouse! The Blue ginger looks great and those statuesque tree ferns are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. must be nice to see this in the middle of winter :) i hope they get their funds.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!