Friday, November 11, 2011

Garden Images in the Media - Part 2: Doctor Zhivago (1965)

I have to admit that I have never seen David Lean's 1965 adaptation of Boris Pasternak's novel Doctor Zhivago, first published in 1957, in its entirety. However, a reference to it that I encountered a few years back in a German article about the garden of Klaus Bender and Manfred Lucenz (their garden website can be found here) first drew my attention not only to the film but also to the potential power of media images of gardens and landscapes more generally. I therefore figured that I should include it here. As for the reference, apparently Manfred Lucenz was very impressed with the Siberian daffodil meadows that he saw depicted in Doctor Zhivago that years later when he and Bender began their garden he set out to recreate them with thousands of bulbs. So here are some screen captures of the daffodil meadows in question:




I personally find the juxtaposition of the yellow daffodils with the white trunks of the birches quite interesting. Have you ever been inspired by a film - or some other artwork - in one of your garden projects?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!