Friday, November 25, 2011

Houseplants at Home

Since yesterday was Thanksgiving I am at my parents' house in Michigan at the moment, enjoying the comforts of home and relaxing for a few days before heading back East for the last round of exams and final papers before Christmas. Of course, the first thing I did when we got home from the airport was to check on all my potted plants. My mom has been taking excellent care of them and many have grown considerably since I left for school at the end of August. I thought I would just post a few pictures, so here we go:

One of my African violets (Saintpaulia ionantha); another one with blue double flowers is just budding

My three-year old Aloe vera is sending up its first flower spike; at the same time it has begun off-setting, producing four little plantlets so far

A white-flowered florist's cyclamen (Cyclamen persicum) - I realize that this is not a particularly impressive specimen but I am nevertheless very pleased with it since is three years old now has been flowering for most of that time period. It only takes a relatively brief break during the hottest part of the summer, bouncing right back in the fall to flower continuously until late spring.

Of the various coleus (Solenostemon scutellarioides) variants that I have grown this chance seedlings is pretty much my favorite in terms of leaf color and pattern but unfortunately it does not appear to be very vigorous. Maybe that extreme leaf color affects its ability to photosynthesize...

View along the windowsill in my room

These are all plants that are currently quartered in my room. Similar collections have taken up winter residence in various other places throughout the house, in addition to the handful of plants that spend the whole year as houseplants. Maybe I will take some cuttings or offsets of the most shade-tolerant - such as the African violents, my Boston fern (Nephrolepsis exaltata), and Philodendron scandens - with me when I go back so as to build up my collection at school.

1 comment:

  1. it is always such a pleasure to see our plants after a while.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!