Sunday, December 4, 2011

Another Houseplant Update

My collection of houseplants in my apartment at school has been slowly and steadily expanding. The relatively low light levels make it a bit of a challenge to find suitable plants but by and large things are doing well.

One of my African violets (Saintpaulia ionantha), just beginning to flower for the second time

Date palm seedlings (Phoenix dactylifera) just sprouting

A white-flowered cultivar of Christmas cactus (Schlumbergera truncata)

Young coleus seedlings (Solenostemon scutellarioides) beginning to display their different leaf patterns

Miniature Phalaenopsis, still flowering and already setting the next set of buds

With the African violets doing so well, I wonder if I should start giving some other gesneriads a try. Episcias particularly intrigue me, especially since they come in intense shades of red. Of course, I would have to find a good source for such plants first, preferably one compatible with a graduate student's rather limited budget.

2 comments:

  1. Check out your local gesneriad society chapter--Episcia cuttings are easy to come by and grow readily! Also, they flower well (although the leaves are the main attraction).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any plant that flowers indoors is awesome in my book!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!