Saturday, February 11, 2012

Houseplant Update

My houseplants here in my apartment have largely been humming along for the past two months without doing anything too exciting, not surprising perhaps considering the less-than-ideal conditions of low light and rather too high temperatures produced by an overly effective and impossible to regulate heating system. However, some of my coleus plants (Solenostemon scutellarioides) have grown considerably and I also recently picked up two Rieger begonias (Begonia x hiemalis) at Trader Joe's, so I thought it might be time to post a few pictures again.

One of my bedroom window, overtaken by plants

 Orange-flowered Rieger begonia (Begonia x hiemalis)

Young cutting of a coleus variety with chartreuse, heavily serrated leaves; they are normally speckled crimson but in the low light of winter that patterning has largely disappeared

Since the begonias in particular prefer somewhat cooler temperatures I am keeping them in the bedroom, which only has a small radiator and is therefore not quite as warm, although that window sill is already quite crowded. So far they seem to be doing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!