Saturday, February 11, 2012

(Very) Tentative Signs of Spring

Largely as a sort of experiment, I planted a few small spring-flowering bulbs - a mixture of Crocus species, glory-of-the-snow (Chionodoxa siehei), and Dutch iris (Iris sp.) - in the pots of the small collection of Sempervivum and Sedum cultivars I accumulated on my outside window sill during the late summer and fall. In recent days, the first sprouts have begun to emerge.

The first sprouts of Dutch iris and glory-of-the-snow

There are a few bulbs in every pot, so if they all come through - fingers crossed - I should have speckling of early-spring blue, purple, and yellow all along the window sill.

2 comments:

  1. My daffodils are blooming already. My tulips have not come up yet, but with this warm winter they may not be far behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daffodils are blooming already. My tulips have not come up yet, but with this warm winter they may not be far behind.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!