Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Cactus Season

My first patch of Eastern prickly pear cactus (Opuntia humifusa) has just begun flowering. One out of an ever-growing number of patches of this awesome native plant throughout the garden (see my Plant Care Profile for the species here), this one sits in a particularly sheltered, dry, and scorching hot spot at the foot of the south-facing wall of the house. As a result, it always blooms two or three weeks earlier than all the other specimens.


I have also been adding other hardy species of cacti. Last summer I added a pineapple cactus (Coryphantha sulcata) - see picture here - which so far has been doing quite well, and this year I have so far added baby specimens of claret cup (Echinocereus triglochidiatus), lace cactus (Echinocereus reichenbachii), pincushion cactus (Coryphantha vivipara), and tulip prickly pear cactus (Opuntia phaeacantha).

2 comments:

  1. Your cactus is far ahead of what I have growing here. The prickly pear will be blooming in July along the shore of Lake Michigan in these gardens. I always find it so interesting that they are a native here. As a kid I only thought I would find cactus out West. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful flowers. Prickly pears are quite common here, but it is usually the larger fruit bearing varieties.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!