Friday, June 15, 2012

The Garden in June

Lots and lots of things are in bloom right now and on the whole I think the garden is looking quite good, though some plants are starting to show signs of stress from the hot and dry weather we have been having, despite daily watering.

View of a section of the backyard

Blanket flower (Gaillardia aristata)

The three pots of yellow and orange pansies (Viola x wittrockiana) that line the walk to the front door are still doing very well, despite the increasing heat

Sundrops (Oenothera fruticosa)

 A peachy-pink Achillea

A section of the front border

Orange butterfly weed (Asclepias tuberosa)

Young lotuses (Nelumbo nucifera) coming along

Young red hot pokers (Kniphofia cv.) in front of the Japanese fiber bananas (Musa basjoo), which are quite far along thanks to the mild winter

Echinacea 'Honey Papaya', a new red double coneflower hybrid that I just added to the red border

I also found plants to fill the large green containers which decorate the walk to the front door which I had mentioned a few weeks back. One now contains a young Cassia didymobotrya and the other one a similarly small naranjilla (Solanum quitoense), both surrounded by orange Lantana camara and a large-flowered, electric blue ornamental sage variety (Salvia cv.).

Container 1 with Cassia didymobotrya...

... Container 2 with Solanum quitoense...

 ... and a closer look at the flowering sage.

I particularly love the color of the ornamental sage; I am pretty sure it is the most intense blue I have had in the garden so far.

2 comments:

  1. Your garden is looking lovely, despite the heat. Finally I have a name for the orange butterfly weed. I have it in my garden, must have been planted by the previous owner. They are really pretty but don't belong here so every year I pull them up but they still reappear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful garden! love that red flowers

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!