Sunday, June 10, 2012

Planting Roses

So far my family's "new" garden - the one I have been working on for the past two summers - has been largely devoid of roses, apart from a few seedling Rosa multiflora that I have not had the heart to pull out and a solitary cream-and-pink Floribunda planted in the yard soon after we moved in. Part of the reason was the fact that practically all the nurseries and garden centers around here carry primarily hybrid teas, despite the fact that these tend to fail pathetically given Michigan's cold, dry winters and hot, humid summers. Various classes of antique roses as well as many shrub and species roses do much better but are scarcely available locally. Add to this that many mail-order rose nurseries only send bareroot stock and that the time window for planting bareroot roses in these parts is very short and falls within a time period when I am still away at school and I just never got around to roses during the last two years. This week, however, I finally put in a whole slew:

Rosa 'Autumn Damask' (Damask)
Rosa 'Charles de Mills' (Gallica)
Rosa 'Cardinal de Richelieu' (Gallica)
Rosa 'Tuscany Superb' (Gallica)
Rosa 'William Lobb' (Moss)
Rosa 'Honorine de Brabant' (Bourbon)
Rosa 'Alfred Colomb' (Hybrid Perpetual)

Except for Rosa 'Honorine de Brabant', these all went into the meandering red border in the back yard that I started last year. Meanwhile, 'Honorine' found her new home next to the apricot tree I planted last year at the edge of the terrace.

I ordered my roses as container plants from High Country Roses.

3 comments:

  1. Quite a list of new roses there! If you get the chance do post a photo of how they get on on your parent's garden in a few weeks/months time :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!