Friday, September 21, 2012

Houseplants New and Old

My parents came to visit me last weekend, and they brought with them a number of my houseplants from last year, which I had taken home to Michigan to summer there while I was traveling and the apartment was rented out to a subletter. So now I am once again on my way to a window sill jungle:

My flourishing Anthurium scandens and assorted other plants

Crown-of-thorn (Euphorbia milii), infant parlour palms (Chamaedorea elegans), and a pink-leaved Syngonium podophyllum

Of course, I had also already begun to accumulate some new plants prior to my parents visit. Chief among these new additions is a cane  or angel wing begonia (Begonia sp.). After producing masses of male flowers and shedding them before they even really opened, it is now unfolding a much smaller number of its somewhat strange-looking female flowers:

Female flowers of my new cane begonia

There is still some space, so logically the collection will keep growing...

5 comments:

  1. The begonia is very nice. I am sure your collection will grow big:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The window space is beautiful and so is the begonia. I've been walking around outside this morning devising strategies for bringing the tropicals back inside in the next couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! We do have something in common :)
    Love your succulents. I'm trying my hands on them now but not much luck though. One of it is dying..over watered :(
    How do you tell a male flower from a female?

    ReplyDelete
  4. lotusleaf - Thanks, I sure hope so... :)

    ChrisU - I know what you mean regarding the return of the tropicals inside. Even with the two books that they brought back here, I am afraid my collection of tender plants back in Michigan, some of them still dating from my middle and high school days, will have my parents quite busy moving things back and forth in the coming weeks.

    Ash - Thanks! To be honest I have only been lucky with those few that you see in that picture; they are the remnants of a larger assortment that was not a successful. The cacti are cuttings of eastern prickly pear cactus (Opuntia humifusa), which is one of the hardiest and most vigorous cacti in our climate here and the other plant is some form of Sempervivum which for some reason has been doing much better for me on that windowsill than other varieties. As for the begonia flowers, the male ones are smaller than the female ones and they do not have that three-winged, darker pink swollen stem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It'll be interesting to see what new plants you will be adding to your collection :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!