Saturday, November 3, 2012

Houseplant Update

Even as the light has been declining, things have been growing in my little window sill garden, and there are even a few flowers. A few days ago, I noticed that my Rex begonia (Begonia rex-cultorum cv.) is forming buds:

Emerging buds on my Rex begonia (Begonia rex-cultorum cv.)

My Rieger begonia cuttings (Begonia x hiemalis) - descendants of the two specimens bought at Trader Joe's that graced my bedroom window sill last winter - have grown strongly as well but so far do not appear inclined to flower. Meanwhile, my Anthurium scandens is flowering away as always:

Two inflorescences of Anthurium scandens

As if that were not endearing enough, the plant is now also starting to branch, producing new leaves and flowers from its base as well as from the tip of the main branch:

Extra inflorescence sprouting from the base of the plant

I am also very happy with my basil seedlings, which so far have been doing quite well despite less than ideal light conditions. There are a number of seedlings of Italian - or Greek, depending on whom you ask; I personally first encountered the variety in Portugal - bush basil (Ocimum basilicum var. minimum), just beginning to branch...

 Baby bush basil (Ocimum basilicum var. minimum)

... and some smaller but all the more precious seedlings of holy basil or tulsi (Ocimum tenuiflorum):

Holy basil (Ocimum tenuiflorum)

Maybe I should get more begonias. There is still some space left...

2 comments:

  1. We could easily get into begonias if we let ourselves! Glad to see your plants doing so well on the window sill :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some beautiful begonias! It's good to see your window. We summer many of our tropicals outside. I spent much of Sunday cleaning, pruning, potting, and moving. It's going to freeze here tonight according to NOAA.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!