Saturday, November 24, 2012

Houseplants Back Home

I have been back home in Michigan since Tuesday because of Thanksgiving, enjoying lots of food and familial warmth and general laziness. One of the added perks of coming home to my parents' house is the opportunity to check in on all the plants I have had to leave in their care over time. Not particularly zealous gardeners on their own, they really are admirably supportive of my obsession and the resulting miniature jungles inside and outside their house.

Red Christmas cactus (Schlumbergera cv.)...

... and a pale pink cultivar

My oldest parlour palm (Chamaedorea elegans) is sending out lots of inflorescences; apparently in the palm's Central American homeland these are eaten as a vegetable, either in salads or deep fried

We also just rearranged my old bedroom and added some new furniture, so now it is more like a combination library-greenhouse than ever.

A glance into my room

I am particularly pleased with the Cordyline australis - it has almost doubled in size since I left for the fall semester at the end of August

A Rieger begonia (Begonia x hiemalis) from last year reflowering

I have also already added yet another plant to the household since coming home, though this one - a lovely Christmas rose (Helleborus niger 'Jacob') - will soon move to the garden.

Christmas rose (Helleborus niger 'Jacob')

Now I am off to repot a few things and cover some of the more tender plants in the garden for the winter...

2 comments:

  1. lovely, as always! happy thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a collection there! Your parents have done a sterling job as they all look nice and healthy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!