Sunday, December 2, 2012

Happy First Advent Sunday!

Today is the first of the four Sundays of the Advent season leading up to Christmas, and in Germany it is customary to mark these by successively lighting the four candles of an Adventskranz or Advent wreath. For my Adventskranz this year, I used some twigs from a bouquet of Eucalyptus gunnii branches from Trader Joe's of the kind I recently blogged about, and it is not so much a real wreath as a loose arrangement. I also reused the candles from last year - no reason to waste them, right? - but I am nonetheless quite happy with my Advent table:

My table for the Advent season - the German glazed gingerbread cookies on the lower right were a must, as were the poinsettias at $2.99 a piece!

My mom's creation for this year is more sophisticated and playful:

My parents' Adventskranz back home in Michigan

You can see her fantastic Advent arrangements from the last three years here, here, and here. Now I am going to drink tea, listen to Mele Kalikimaka on repeat, and work on one of my final presentations for tomorrow...

3 comments:

  1. And a happy one to you too! Love your mom's creation btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of Advent wreaths. I have an Advent calendar and opened the second door today. This year it is a digital calendar. How things change. I still enjoy the old traditions though and it is interesting to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Advent to you! We always have advent wreaths in church but with 5 candles, one for each week of advent and the Christ candle in the middle which gets lit on Christmas. I sometimes do one at home as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!