Tuesday, May 21, 2013

And So It Begins...

Today the first of many bearded iris in the garden began blooming. So far three varieties have unfurled flowers. One of them is Iris 'Champagne Elegance', which I transplanted from our previous garden and which is one of my favorites. The other two, their names unknown, are holdovers from the previous owners of the property.

Iris 'Champagne Elegance'

Unidentified bearded iris #1

Unidentified bearded iris #2

Perhaps I should count this year how many varieties of bearded iris I have total. Over the last couple of years I have added a number of plants bought on sale after they had flowered or still too small to flower and without proper tags and last summer I also got a bag full of divisions from a family friend's garden, so I might still be surprised by hitherto unseen flowers.

4 comments:

  1. Not much help with the ID of the two but Champagne Elegance is very elegant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have pretty much giving up on id-ing any of the irises that were here before or the ones that arrived as untagged sales items or pass-alongs. They are all lovely and, given our hot, dry summers and general absence of slugs, they are all reliable.

      Delete
  2. The iris have been beautiful here this year. It looks like yours are going to be as well. Very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It does look as if they will be particularly nice this year - loads and loads of buds!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!