Saturday, May 11, 2013

Elegant Treasures

Here are some more lovely finds from my various walks. First up a delicate late-blooming narcissus, the poet's daffodil (Narcissus poeticus), growing at the edge of a parking lot:

Poet's daffodil (Narcissus poeticus)

Then there is the quince tree (Cydonia oblonga) that I found in a quiet side street not far from my place, studded with shimmering shell-like flowers:

Quince (Cydonia oblonga)...

... and a close-up

Quinces are not very common but, like fig trees (Ficus carica) one occasionally finds them hidden away in old gardens around here.

6 comments:

  1. Love the blooms of that quince!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are they not lovely? Even just as an ornamental quinces deserve greater popularity.

      Delete
  2. Elegant treasures indeed! It's always fun to find such sweet plants in unexpected places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is... And I have been glad to discover that there are surprisingly many such finds in my area. Just the other day I came across a very healthy baby giant redwood just a few blocks away, and a gorgeous ornamental peach with red double flowers.

      Delete
  3. The quince is such a sadly neglected tree. We grow one in our garden in the UK and it is lovely at this time of year with all those delicate blossoms, and then of course you get masses of big golden fruit in the autumn. I suspect it's just not tidy enough for many 'gardeners' today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I really want to add one to the family garden back in Michigan. None of the nurseries there seem to stock it, so I am probably going to have to look into a mail-order source. I suspect they are a bit more common around here because some of the immigrant communities prominent around here - Portuguese, Italian - still have lots of delicious culinary uses for quinces.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!