Thursday, May 2, 2013

I Am Back!

Somehow the last three weeks have been very chaotic and with everything that has been going on I have very much been neglecting the blogosphere. First there were the terrible events here in Boston - luckily everyone we know, including those running the marathon, was safe, but still - followed by the onset of the frantic last days of the semester. Then my computer decided to go on strike due to a malfunctioning cable that had already been replaced not two months ago and was out of commission for almost a week. My computer repaired I headed to Michigan for a weekend at my parents' place, and then almost immediately upon returning I was hit by a minor but still annoying bout of flu. However, it is finally, gloriously spring now, and even as I finish up my last assignments and term papers and try to figure out the schedule and necessary preparations for my PhD candidacy qualifying exams next term, I will try my best to get back to posting frequently. For today, here are a few pictures from the first stirrings of spring in my garden back in Michigan:

Magnolia stellata 'Centennial' - it appears to be producing increasingly pinkish flowers, which is just fine with me

Mahonia sp.

Abeliophyllum distichum

 As these pictures taken last weekend indicate, spring has been even more delayed in Michigan than here in Massachusetts. I spent an enjoyable Saturday tidying up the garden, uncovering plants that had been wrapped and mulched for winter protection, pulling up the first weeds, and so on, and so far it seems that despite the winter being quite cold and a good month longer than usual, most of my more tender plants appear to have survived without much damage.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you're back! I was wondering about you and am glad that all is well both with you and the Michigan garden despite the delayed spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back and Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!