Friday, May 3, 2013

Windowsill Blooms, Inside and Out

On my bedroom windowsill, a balsam seedling (Impatiens balsamina) has just begun blooming. Not really a houseplant, but they do surprisingly well with the less-than-ideal light, much like their more common cousin Impatiens x walleriana:


On the outside windowsill, the little violas are really coming into their own:


Everything else is doing well, too, though with the spring sunshine and rise and temperatures, I find myself scrambling to keep up with watering even in my relatively dark apartment.

4 comments:

  1. I believe that impatiens variety is the old fashioned one that I use to see growing in everyone's garden but now I rarely do. I had forgotten about that plant. I wonder why I never see it anymore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely are a bit old-fashioned - I think that is part of why I like them. I guess the reason they have fallen out of favor compared to the regular impatiens is that they do not bloom for as long and that they do not form a mounding groundcover.

      Delete
  2. Hooray for spring! Your windowsill gardens are looking happy about the increasing light and temperatures! Happy watering!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!