Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Bounteous Blooms

Lots of things are in bloom at the moment, perhaps more than at any other point in the year, and new plants join the show almost  every day. Here is just a selection of some of the stars, beginning with the latest irises to begin blooming.

Another variety of bearded iris

Another Siberian iris (Iris sibirica) cultivar; I think I somewhat prefer this one, despite its smaller, paler flowers and the foliage that can get messy later in the season; there is something rather elegant about its rush-like appearance.

Field gladiolus (Gladiolus italicus)

Herbaceous peonies (Paeonia lactiflora cv.)

Helianthemum 'Rhodanthe Carneum'

Virginia spiderwort (Tradescantia virginiana)

Amsonia tabernaemontana

Variegated large periwinkle (Vinca major)

Rosa multiflora

One kind of sweet william (Dianthus barbatus)...

... and another

Weigela florida cv.

For some reason the blues, purples, and pinks are particularly dominant at this time of year, though I do not feel as though I veer particularly towards those colors when buying plants.

3 comments:

  1. A nice selection of pinks and purples there, especially the field gladiolus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blooms! I really like that rosa multiflora. Such a simple and elegant flower... It's probably one that's not hardy in my area (like most roses I covet!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might well be because supposedly it is hardy to Zone 3! Around here it is actually somewhat invasive and completely carefree. All three specimens in my garden are seedlings which came up by themselves and which I left because they were in spots where I could use them; I have pulled up many others. I just wish other roses did as well here.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!