Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Purple Beauty

The other day my mom sent me another picture from the garden back home, this one of the first flower of the season on my maypop or purple passionflower vine (Passiflora incarnata):

Maypop (Passiflora incarnata)

I find this feisty native of much of the eastern United States much showier than its much more well- known and widely grown South American relative the blue passionflower (Passiflora caerulea), although both arguably fall short of the floral glories of some of their more glamorous tropical cousins. Moreover, the flowers have a unique powdery fragrance which I rather like. Then again, it is so far anyway the only passionflower that I am able to grow permanently planted outside in Michigan, so for that alone I would appreciate it even if its other charms were not so pronounced. With all that it has going for itself, I definitely hope that it will find more use in gardens than it currently does.

4 comments:

  1. Color me ignorant! I'd no idea that Passiflora incarnata's native range went so far north! Beautiful, tropical-looking flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think technically its original range stops a little bit south of us somewhere in central Ohio but it does well here anyway. Due to the moderating effect of the nearby Great Lakes large chunks of Michigan are actually a bit milder than some of the regions immediately to the South, so that probably helps as well.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Passiflora incarnata!!! Passion flowers are one of my all time favourite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are great, aren't they? I kind of hope that I can eventually find other species or cultivars that can tough it out in our winters. Perhaps someone somewhere is doing some good breeding work using Passiflora incarnata...

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!